Dragon's Back

On one of the only dry-ish day in Hong Kong before the end of my holiday. I decided to head for a famous trail call the Dragon's Back in Hong Kong Island. I say dry - the forecast of the day was cloudy with rain and possble thunder and lightning. It was low 20s and humid. But what the heck. Let's do this!


I always thought the Hong Kong Island looks like a leaping frog. The start of the trail is situate at the hind leg of the island at a place call Shek O.  At this point I was a pro at public transport so I found my way to the busy town of  Shau Kei Wan (where the toy shop was) in Hong Kong Island and took a ride on a mini bus which takes me along towards the starting point.  Its now 11am.  With no time to lose I head up the stairs next the entrance sign and off I go!


The climb get steep pretty quickly but the the trail is pretty well maintain so it didn't seem too difficult. But I do feel that this will be my only proper trek in Hong Kong so I was quite excited and want to go as far as I can. At this point I don't have a complete route mapped out!



Half way up there is a off trail to a picnic area and viewpoint.  So I went to have a look and found a small opening with a view to the Red Hill Peninsular on the eastern side.  Rather than high tower blocks there are actually many town house home which are probably an exclusive and expensive area! Shame I can't see too far further into Hong Kong Island!





After a light rest I headed back to the original track and made my way up some steep steps,  I came to another viewpoint again looking over the Red Hill Peninsular but look much further away now!





Not far after the view point I reach another resting point with junction where you can go straight and miss the summit or right to go to carry on to Dragon's Back. After another small climb and reach the top it suddenly opens up and there is a big area off track that you can explore!  I didn't know yet at this point but towards the east you can see Shek O beach which would become my final destination.




Carry on exploring the top and there are couple of rock formation that suppose to look like a tortoise and a rat! I suppose they do?  To the south you can see a pier of  To Tei Wan village which was near the start of the Dragon's Back trail.



After 30 minutes of climbing rocks and taking pictures, I head north back towards the trail for the summit.  Despite a bit of drizzle here and there it's actually quite a pleasant walk.  Looking to the east you can see a golf course by the coast. 





After 1/2 km or so I reach the actual summit. 284 metres above sea level!  Would have been great if it was sunny and I can enjoy the view. Suppose to be able to see far islands and back to the New Territory.  But today - not a lot! So a few photos and carry on!




Moving on from the summit and carrying on north, it wasn't long before it start to decent.  From here looking at North East you  an see Big Wave Bay which is where I'm heading towards. Getting up mountain is easy but getting down is hard! There are a few tricky slippery slopes!




I soon reach a junction where I can turn left back to the staring point or right through Shek O country park. I head right through the park where there is a long flat path through the woods which went on for about a km.   Nothing much to see here but it was extremely quite consider this is a popular trail and the is a road parallel to this only 20 odd metres away. I bumped in to very few other walkers so I walked briskly trying to make the most of the time I have!




It didn't take long to get through the country park. Out on the otherside I reach a single track road where I turn right to go towards Big Wave Bay! It turns out this road is a no car zone and was built for dirt bike! Didn't see any bikes on the way but it was an easy walk for about 1km before reaching a resting bench.  Time for a pit stop!




Further along to the end of the road, I reach the foot hill of Pottinger Peak. Very steep steps are waiting for me on decent to my next destination. Really enjoy this part with the deep vegetation and good cover for the rain! Very peaceful surrounding and not too difficult walk! It did start to get rather hot and sticky because of the humidity 






I was rather glad when I'm out of the trees into Big Wave Bay.  The town literally appeared out of nowhere from the trail and and I was walking through the middle of a residential area all of a sudden. After going pass a car park I came to a surfing club with small shop and resturant. I stop of for a well deserved beer and a bowl of noodles! I then have quick stoll on the beach and watch people surf for a while. It seem popular and I guess its called Big Wave Bay for a reason!



I head for my final destination Shek O beach which is about 2km south down the road from Big Wave Bay. Unfortunately there is no scenics route so I have to stick to the road which is probably not the safest thing to do as the local drives like maniacs and the pavement is like 1/2 foot wide! On the way I walk by the golf course I saw earlier on Dragon's Back and watch posh people wiz around on golf buggies!  You have to be rich to play golf in HK! 




I reached Shek O beach town without being ran over. It looks like a busy touristy town with lots of shops and cafes and mini restaurants. The beach is quite big and deep. Not very busy being 3pm on a week day but I can see it being jam pack at weekends! I just had a little stroll and took some pictures as I need to make my way home to have dinner with mum! But there is always time for a little snack! Jumped on a mini bus after that and off I go!


I'm not going to lie - I did NOT fly across the channel before I started my walk.  Didn't know what went wrong with the tracker!  So the real distance is probably only about 11km or 7 miles but I did do around 25k steps that day. I do wish I had longer time so I could do a round trip bank to the starting point. I'll definitely do this again when I'm back!

Until the next time!

Yatman

04/04/23


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toy Zone HK - Vintage Toy Shop

Wrekking Tanker in Hong Kong