Wrekking Tanker in Hong Kong

Wrekking Tanker strikes again!

Back in Hong Kong for 12 days! Taking this opportunity to do some trekking! I did planned to do a few rural treks but a few thing might prevent me from doing so:-

1. According to the forecast, it pretty much going to rain for all of the 12 days that I'm here.

2. I'm on my own so I don't want to go anywhere too remote in case I roll down a hill and have to survive by eating bugs for a week before someone finds me.

3. I haven't done any serious trekking since our Hadrian's wall trek so I better not push myself too far!

Anyways, today I'm planning to walk to a beach call the Trio beach or δΈ‰ζ˜Ÿη£ (Sam Sing Wan) which literally translate as three star Bay.  Its fairly close to Sai Kung which is the town nearest to my mum's Village where I'm staying.   Its cloudy but dry today at 20°C with a light breeze! Perfect!  Let's see if its as average as it sound!

After lunch with my mum and uncle in Sai Kung, I took a quick stroll around town and found there are now loads of new facilities.  I've also saw a few places with Street arts dotted around looking very cool indeed! I also took the opportunity to buy some snacks for later! 




After setting my route, I head off to Seadfood Street along the seafront.  As the name suggests, this stretch of seafront are full of restaurants selling all sorts of seafood. They are caught fresh daily and display in these massive tanks!  You can literally pick exactly what you want and tell them how you like them cook. It can be quite expensive especially if they know you are not local. I walked by and actually overheard a owner saying he had 3 different prices depends on who the the customer are! I'll make sure I won't go there! 🀨



After walking away from Seafood Street, I went through a village housing estate with lots of stairs/slopes with loads different paths which is not great for someone like me with bad sense of direction.  Thank god for Google maps and I just head for the desire direction and manage to come out the other side. It took about 15 minutes before I reach the start of the rural trek at Ma Oh Shan Country park.  I thought I was lost as there were no sign and it looks like a dead end with a rubbish collection point.






The trek from here on to Trio Beach is only around 3km away but there were many ups and downs of mini hills. Good job I brought my walking boots!  Recent rain had turned some of the paths to really slippery slope and with me being out of practice, the stairs were a bit of a killer and I was being extra careful not to roll down the hill! Especially I only saw 4 people the whole way there and back! Anyways, there were a few view point at higher ground where you can look back towards Sai Kung and the many little islands where you could take boat trips to. There was a very nice paved path but that was short lived.



The last km is fairly challenging with a couple of steep hills!





It was all worth it when I got there at around 2pm! The tide is a bit high and the beach is not that big probably only around 50 or 60 meters long from the pier at one end to the rock face on the other with a watch tower near the middle.  The water is very clear consider Sai Kung is around the corner with hundreds of fishing boats going in and out all the time. It had proper white sand and the best thing is that there is not a single soul here except me and a couple of guys (life guards?) at the beach house. It was so quiet and peaceful! It's certainly worth more than 3 star! πŸ˜† I had a little stroll up and down the sand then sat down on the rocks looking out towards the Hong Kong University in the far distance while eating my yummy pineapple bun (Not euphemism.  An actual bun!)
I could sit here all day!


After reclaiming my soul as it had drifted miles away, I made my way back on same route I came. It felt tougher because my legs were knackered but I somehow got back to centre of Sai Kung quicker.  I've only done 8km but I think that is quite enough and I deserve a beer as a reward! πŸ˜†

Until the next time!

Yatman
28/03/23


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toy Zone HK - Vintage Toy Shop

Dragon's Back